Tuesday, January 25, 2011

what the hell have I done?

American pickers, unite - and show up at my house for the big sale soon to be advertised.
It appears that my house has turned from a home into a warehouse; I need an intervention.
Some kind of help. There's TOO MUCH STUFF! Where did it all come from?! Time passed and I collected. Not hoarded, mind you - that's gross. I collected, I treasured and I enjoyed.
But now I have to downsize by at least half, and quickly. Been trying for a year now to get motivated and just git 'er done. Problem is, as much as I want to move on to my "new life" - subject of the next post, probably - I just can't seem to part with all the things that have become "me" - literally, my identity. Pathetic?... or a common problem?
One big sale in October loosened me from my ornate 1800's cast iron coal cook-stove,  an oak ball & claw-foot pedestal table, my green 1930's kitchen gas stove that a guy practically stole from me (I need lessons from Mike & Frank, or that gal at "Cash & Cari" on how to better negotiate, I guess).  I suppose I should be more positive, because the money I earned from those allowed me to buy a kickin' new stove and dishwasher for my kitchen - just so I can leave them for the next people who will buy the house.  : (
That sale also freed up some space so I can unpack more boxes to see what the hell I've been holding on to, with the past intention of selling and making BIGGO BUCKOs on eBay. Somehow, that's not as enticing any more, though....I'm exhausted just thinking about it! Guess I'll go brew another K-cup.
Meanwhile, you can't walk almost anywhere in here, as I supposedly "organize" and "categorize" my junk. Piles of doilies, for heaven's sake. Want 'em? Women spent countless hours creating those, and now they're out of fashion, how sad. My mother and grandmother's vintage turquoise Fiesta Ware (mint condition, too,) is sitting all over my dining room floor. What to do with it all? I know somebody must want it.
Goodwill and Purple Heart has made millions on my giveaways already ~  hopefully bettering others' lives in some way. Pass it on, they say. Now that the trash is gone, how do I deal with the Treasures?

2 comments:

  1. After having to downsize (half a house's worth of stuff) due to a cross country move- Freedom! Lightness! I haven't missed or reminisced a single thing. I still at times have to resist the urge to stop at the thrift store or 2nd hand furniture shop. Now instead of dreaming of what I might serve on a particular piece of vintage dishware or what color I may paint a table after I sand and paint it, I have found so much joy in the very simple beauty of our home. The most incredible,unexpected side effect is the mental space decluttering created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We discussed this at length recently. One of the trials and tribulations of turning 60 is coming to the realization how much stuff we have accumulated. In these hard times it is even more difficult to sell these items because people just don't have the disposable income like they did before. You also have to factor in what it costs to move it somewhere else, compared to what it is "really" worth. I have learned recently what you have is usually worth a lot less than you think, basically it's worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys, let me know you were here!