Wednesday, February 2, 2011

arts & crafts cabin fever

        This past summer I made a big financial commitment to hire a guy to paint my whole house ~  to create "curb appeal" for selling this Arts & Crafts Foursquare-style home that was built in 1915.  Hey, it badly needed a facelift. Years ago I shocked my neighbors by painting a formerly 1960's mushroom brown to a pure white with the addition of large dashes of shocking teal/turquoise trims. For years I loved what felt to me like the "beach cottage" look, disregarding the safe exterior colors around my neighborhood; but time and weather eventually dulled them down to drab and neglected.
        As a student of interior decorating who watches trends, for the past few years it's seemed to me that everything looks so plain in comparison to the previous cottage-chic kitch, and before that, the Victorian lushness in decorating, both of which I embraced with a vengeance in my interiors.  Now nothing will sell but stainless steel, granite, black and white, neutral and boring. Just like fashions change almost yearly, they need to sell us on completely new decorating styles every ten years or less.... so we can spend our money to keep up, of course. We're brainwashed~ but I digress.
        I capitulated to my potential buyers' market sensibilities by picking a slightly blued shade of dark gray for the body of the house, with ultra white trim. I had him paint the first floor shutters and porch railings a matt black, and the wooden porch floor a nice dark cinnamon-brown color, which is close in shade to the solid chestnut of the original front door.
       I'm pleased with the result, as I now have the freshest, most outstanding paint job on the whole block. 
       However, I've decided that what it needs now is more GREEN! Such as green grass, greened-up trees, my perennials sprouting their green variegated foliage.....sigh.
       Yes, I have a bad case of the winter BLUES this year.
       So, an additional two feet of snow to shovel the other day. This winter and last have collectively broken all snow total records for the Philadelphia region where I live. To rub more salt into our wounds (and onto our cars and streets), tonight it's sleeting outside and thick ice is predicted - it appears this is a huge storm which affects many states. I can only pray the electric doesn't go out. I have just filled the fridge and freezer with food I'd hate to lose, my heaviest winter coat is at the dry cleaners, and the emergency firewood is stacked beneath an enormous frozen snow drift at the far back of my yard.
      I think that two of those choice steaks in the freezer and that bottle of champagne in the fridge would make for a lovely celebration of the snow melt that's just around the corner, if I can only hang on a little while longer.

1 comment:

  1. I love the color of your house, its grey-blue with white and black trim. I have never seen it in the snow, but it could not be lovelier. Your flowers in the Spring should be really pretty.

    Am I mistaken, but was that tree in the front cut down at one point? It's grown back nicely, if so.

    Now you know who I am. Being from a Southern climate, I wish we had a little of that white stuff........And champagne and steak....Grill those steaks on the porch for me. Let them sizzle with the snow and sleet falling down. Then toast to Ground Hog's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys, let me know you were here!